Monday, September 18, 2023

New COVID surge: we are on our own

 Given the spike in a new COVID  variant and the anti-vaxxer surge still alive and causing uneven state-by-state political affiliation, what is left is for individuals to take responsibility for themselves. Some anti anti-vaxxers do not care about taking responsibility for others and, in their self-centered views, have no qualms about infecting those of us who are vulnerable, their children who are at the mercy of parental judgment.  I am 85. Thanks to the vaccines, I avoided having COVID until this summer, when the virus new variant caught me.

My view about COVID-19 vaccines was not that I wouldn't get it, but at my age, I did not want to die from it. So far, it has worked.  I had four shots, and I had a mild case, made milder by my doctor putting me on Paxlovid immediately when I tested positive.  I fortunately have no pre-existing conditions except high blood pressure, which remained acceptable even when I was infected.   I also kept in self-quarantine for the first five days and then went masked for the next five. We have been vaccinated and unvaccinated in our immediate family, and the unvaccinated also stayed away and/or were masked.  One was under 65 years old and had some serious bouts twice with COVID earlier. 

For those who refuse to get vaccinated for religious reasons and prefer to let God pick and choose who lives, that is your choice, but please do not forget the Golden  Rule.  Stay away from me if you have symptoms.   For the paranoid believing that there is a government conspiracy,  get some mental health help, and stay away from me if you have symptoms.   For my part, after four shots and a mild case. I know that both having it and following the recommendations of when to get the new shots,  my current chances of getting the virus are slim and temporary, and probably good to go out in society for the next several months. I will then be right in line for the new shot.  

.

I agree with the conclusions of an excellent article in Time Magazine."We are not talking about “giving up.” Governments should continue to promote vaccine acceptance and enforce vaccine mandates. The right kinds of outreach can sway some people who are on the fence about vaccinating. But these efforts alone are unlikely to be sufficient to prevent future outbreaks. Adapting to the times we live in is the only way forward.  "  https://time.com/6311276/antivax-movement-adapt-essay/


No comments:

Post a Comment