Friday, December 29, 2023

A message to my anti-vaxx friends:

From my Facebook post 12/29/2023 

Update: 1/26/2024  https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/measles/data/global-measles-outbreaks.html

Dear anti-vaxx friends. Let us hope your children do not get measles from their anti-vaxx friends. Children have no choice and are at the mercy of their parents. I grew up anti-vaxx because I am so old, I went through childhood before vaccines against these dangerous childhood diseases had even been invented. I had them all, measles (2 finds), mumps, and chickenpox ), but the sickest I remember was measles, spending weeks in my bedroom when I was about 7 or 8. No TV, then, either. Radio, yes, and paper dolls and coloring books as I recovered. I remembered how sick I was and weak, though so far as I know, no lingering effects. The only vaccination I got was smallpox, and the scar got me through international travel requirements forever. I avoided polio by being on neighborhood lockdown during Oklahoma summers...three hot months without AC in those days. Kids and grandkids (my husband, their father/ grandfather, an MD) got vaccines following the pediatric recommended routines. Now, the anti-vaxx advocates, like Robert Kennedy, can crow that their kids are ok, and don't need them.. Of course, anti-vaxxed kids are safe, because when 95% of the kids they come in contact with these days are vaccinated, and they are protected so long as they do not come in contact with the unvaccinated. Public Health officials in the article before did not mention whether the sick child had vaccinations. No vaccine is 100% effective or without a reaction, but over 95% is at least reducing the odds of infections dramatically. However, if anti vaxxers increase in numbers, I am sorry for their kids who have no say so or control over their parent's foolish decisions, whether influenced by crackpot politicians or misleading media posted by similar theorists.. I also know there are vaccines like anti-flu ones based on egg yolks, to which I am seriously allergic and I cannot take them. I had no problems at all with COVID-19 shots with their non-egg process in manufacturing.. So ask your doctor, but not some online "advocate" of unproved health theories or paranoiacs about modern medicine or you want to make it a protest against big pharma..
Officials confirm first case of measles in Colorado resident in 5 years

No comments:

Post a Comment