Here is my view of MAHA anti-vaxxers. Some diseases can kill or leave you seriously disabled if you survive. Millions have been saved by vaccines. I spent summers confined to a few in my immediate neighborhood in my youth to avoid polio, and only after the vaccine could I again attend movies, go swimming, and even go to church gatherings. In my membership beginning in the 1990's in Rotary, there were still members who were survivors of polio, so Denver Rotary led Rotary's worldwide attempt to stamp out the disease with our Polio Plus project carried forth by Rotary International.. We did, and the Gates Foundation helped, but now some want to reverse that. It is sure insanity. Fauci almost single-handedly broke through and found the treatments for AIDS. However, MAHA wants you to risk your lives because of a few paranoid, uneducated science deniers, parents looking for a culprit other than themselves or their own DNA to blame for the learning disabilities of their kids, and then launch a disinformation campaign to duck data and research results that debunked their theories or find someone to blame... If they want to put their own children in danger, that is their choice, but to try to force us to swallow their dangerous BS is the problem. Some people do not believe in science or have other motivations, religious, or just plain failed high school biology, or forgot or never learned anything about viruses.(When I was a child, we did not even know about viruses.) They, the uneducate and those looking for an explanation that makes them feel good about themselves, are the victims of this anti-vaxxing proselytizers. Then there are those like political opportunists who ride this issue because it is another one they can falsely lob at those who do not support Trump. They were on display at these recent hearings. Rand Paul is a libertarian who never found a government program he liked and is an ophthalmologist, but he puts his ideologically based politics first and ignores whatever he learned in med school. The eyes may have got it, but infectious diseases, viruses, seemed to have been forgotten.
What I do appreciate is the ability and freedom to refuse a vaccine to which I am allergic...and my allergist told me not to get: the flu vaccines based on eggs.I am allergic to eggs...seriously. The result would be worse than the flu. I learned that he wasn't kidding when I took the swine flu vaccine. That was the last flu shot I ever took. The new methods used for COVID that avoid the egg stuff are a savior. I am so grateful that mNRA technology works.(MAHA paranoids fear this one) I am high risk for COVID, mostly due to my advanced age, and I had no reaction at all. MNRA may also let me take a flu vaccine someday. Each to his own, but what is good for you and me should be based on recommendations of a person's physician, not on some politically motivated anti-science advocate looking for a political opportunity to thump the table and mislead the public because it serves a political purpose, as it was in that disgusting hearing attempt the other day.. Trump's greatest accomplishment was the fast-track COVID vaccine, but he cannot even boast about it because of the MAHA ideological and science-deniers involved in politics who are so grateful for RFK, Jr. spreading the same dangerous message..
So far as searching for blame for a child's learning disabilities, a parent's time is better spent in providing therapy and help and a whole lot of patience and understanding. Leave that search for cause in the hands of professionals, instead.
Stop blaming yourself or trying to find someone else to blame. It is a far better way to spend time and effort to concentrate on helping a child and other children succeed than to be off on a blame crusade.. I fear that motivates much of the anti-vaxxer's interests. I can say that because as a mother of 3 and 4 grandchildren, I have been there with diagnosis and therapy at a time before and during the discovery of such disabilities in my own family. They may not turn out to be your ditto or what you wished, but success and talents come in many different packages.
I saw a time when a child tested so low, she was considered "a slow learner, learning challenged" in the terms of the time. But with new techniques of diagnosis and with intense therapy privately and in specialized schools, and the use of the ADA disabilities act, she graduated from public high school and later from a 4-year college. She found a profession where her disabilities were an asset, and she had compensated with other talents:: focus, memory, patience, learning from watching what others were doing, creativity, and applying these to her own tasks.
She was fortunate: we had the means to afford what seemed best therapy at the time....and for that reason, I am such an advocate for such publicly funded schools that provide those alternative ways to learn, such as the Montessori methods, and for learning disabled specialists to be on hand at all schools. I am particularly grateful for the ADA legislation that permitted her to take exams in ways that let her use her compensating talents to show she had indeed learned the subject matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment