Sunday, July 12, 2026

In response to memes that gin up fear of communism

 On one of my Facebook pages, I have seen many a meme attempting to paint Democrats (and even some Republicans) as communists.  Should I bother to reply or even care about such memes?  Given that I still believe there are thinking, curious people who may be tuning in, I replied with the following in the hope that simply shouting memes does little to change opinions, and perhaps some can still be introspective and can question slogans.   My response:

One thing we agree on is that communism is bad, but what is your definition of it? If anything to the left of you is communist, then I think there is a lack of education about political theories. In practice, though, what we remember about soviet communism is the use of theory to justify an absolute dictatorship. Planned and federal control of all elements of the economy failed for sure, and there were no civil or individual rights or fair and free elections. That and fascism share that control over thought and expression, and repress opponents by fear and force. Instead of Marxist ideology, the rationale for fascist repression is loyalty to their great leader with the support of the ultra-rich and powerful. Modern democratic societies are a balance and a blend of both capitalist and government provision, with control by democratic means,..including fair and free elections, whose representatives create the laws that rule. It is not ruled by some all-powerful person who demands obedience to his executive orders. I reject both communism and fascism.

Both communism and fascism have been used to fuel dictatorships, and they have much in common when put into practice. I consulted AI to see what would come up if I asked the questions:  Here is what I got:

AI Overview
Communist and fascist dictatorships share total government control, a single ruling party, and violent terror tactics.
Control and Power
  • Totalitarian rule: Both systems try to control every part of public and private life.
  • Single-party state: Only one political party is allowed, and all other parties are banned.
  • All-powerful leader: A single charismatic leader holds absolute power, often backed by a strong personality cult.
Suppression and Propaganda
  • Terror and force: Both use secret police, violent force, and concentration camps to crush any opposition.
  • Censorship: The government controls all news, media, art, and education to brainwash the public.
  • No individual rights: Personal freedoms and independent groups are destroyed to put the state or party first.
  • ELI5: What are the differences between a fascist dictatorship and a communist dictatorship? : r/explainlikeimfive
    Aug 29, 2017 — Fascism and communism are both totalitarian dictatorships. They share many characteristics, including: * **Authoritarianism** Both...
    Reddit
  • Chapter 27 quim Flashcards | Quizlet
    1. Both Fascists and Communists followed the totalitarian model. They retained a one-party state that used violent repression and ...
    Quizlet
Show all



No comments:

Post a Comment