Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Keeping democracy is more valuable than voting for tax advantages

Memo to my well-heeled friends: Let me say something about priorities and values. Keeping democracy is more valuable than voting for tax advantages. I am not poor. I will leave my children some inheritance. What I want is to leave them a democracy of the kind I grew up with so they can enjoy the same freedom I have had to chart my own life. That is the most valuable inheritance my generation can leave them. I am old enough to have seen what fascism caused, and I have had personal day-to-day experiences with a dictatorship. Trump and those who only care about the power and wealth they have if they get back in power would, yes, destroy the kind of democracy I have enjoyed to regain power. I wish on no one a wannabe dictator beholden to the white Christian nationalist agenda and methods of subversion of the administration of laws and their intent to give the autocrat and his loyalists an advantage. I am White and Christian, and so are my children and grandchildren. Their future shaped by demographics will be in a multicultural, multi-racial society where the best way to maintain domestic peace, stability, and prosperity is with a democracy that includes all, is fair to all, and does not attempt to give priority to an extreme religious group and a 1950's Jim Crow racial suppression as outlined in Project 2025. Trump's attempt to distance himself from such forces as the Heritage Foundation represents has no credibility since he is so transactional. He will cut any deal that enhances his power and keeps him there, as his flip-flop on Florida's abortion ban so recently graphically illustrated. Economies never thrive in those kinds of governance when the country is mired in hateful, revengeful, and tribal conflict, where only those craving power get there and stay there when they meet the ideological litmus test of the ruler instead of the excellence of their abilities. Four years again of Trump and new political circumstances that differ from his first term will only bring such turmoil, instability, and uncertainty that chaos is too kind of a word to describe the damage he will do.

https://apnews.com/article/trump-hannity-dictator-authoritarian-presidential-election-f27e7e9d7c13fabbe3ae7dd7f1235c72

No comments:

Post a Comment